This is a super fab recipe to make for the 4th. And you don’t need a ice cream maker for this recipe. Every one is going to it. And
who doesn’t want a ice cream sandwich ?
- 2 tablespoons sugar
- 1-1/2 teaspoons cornstarch
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- 1/2 cup 2% milk
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 2/3 cup sweetened condensed milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1 ounce semisweet chocolate, melted
- 18 chocolate or sugar cookies (3 inches)
- Miniature semisweet chocolate chips, chocolate jimmies, chopped unsalted peanuts optional
- In a small saucepan, combine the sugar, cornstarch and butter; stir in milk. Bring to a boil over medium heat; cook and stir for 2 minutes or until thickened. Remove from the heat; stir in vanilla. Cool completely. Stir in condensed milk.
- In a large bowl, beat cream until stiff peaks form; fold into milk mixture. Divide between two freezer containers. Stir melted chocolate into one container until well blended. Cover and freeze both mixtures for 6 hours or until firm.
- To assemble, place 1/3 cup of ice cream on the bottom of a cookie. Top with another cookie; press down gently. If desired, roll sides of ice cream sandwich in chocolate chips, jimmies, peanuts or coconut. Wrap in plastic wrap. Repeat. Freeze until serving.
Adapted from :Taste of home